Low Vision Evaluation
1. The COMPLIMENTARY TELEPHONE INTERVIEW.
This is required for an appointment to determine if you are a good candidate for our products and services. We will not waste a person’s time or money if we believe we cannot help him or her.
2. The Low Vision evaluation consists of three steps:
- Find out the amount of vision the patient has.
- Find out the amount of vision needed to do the task desired.
- Figure out the best magnification device that allows the person to do the task.
We find out the amount of vision the patient has by performing a Low Vision evaluation. It is not anything like a regular eye exam:
- We use special charts and techniques to “draw out” any residual vision that may be “hiding” in the periphery.
- We recheck the regular eyeglass prescription to improve it if possible.
- We see how magnification affects the level of vision.
We find out the amount of vision needed to do the task desired with very specific questions and demonstrations:
- We ask the patient to bring samples of print they want to see (newspaper, Sunday school lesson, Bible, and mail).
- We ask the patient to bring samples of activities they do (sewing, woodworking, painting and card playing, etc.).